Ten Fascinating Facts about Cockroach -- Chaii!!
1. A cockroach can live for a week without its head. Due to their open circulatory system, and the fact that they breathe through little holes in each of their body #segments, they are not dependent on the mouth or head to breathe. The roach only dies because without a mouth, it can't drink water and dies of thirst.
2. A cockroach can hold its breath for 40 minutes, and can even survive being submerged under water for half an hour. They hold their breath often to help regulate their loss of water.
3. Cockroaches can run up to three miles in an hour, which means they can spread germs and bacteria throughout a home very quickly.
4. #Newborn German cockroaches become adults in as little as 36 days. The German cockroach is the most common of the #cockroaches and has been implicated in outbreaks of illness and allergic reactions in many people.
5. A one-day-old baby cockroach, which is about the size of a speck of dust, can run almost as fast as its parents.
6. The African cockroach has shown a marked attraction to #foodstuffs, especially grains. They are most likely attracted by leftovers, bread and sugar.
7. The world's largest roach (which lives in South America) is six inches long with a one-foot wingspan. Average cockroaches can vary in size from ½"- 2" long.
8. Cockroaches are believed to have originated more than 280 million years ago, in the Carboniferous era.
9. There are more than 4,000 species of cockroaches worldwide, including the most common species, the German cockroach, as well as whitebanded cockroaches and American cockroaches.
10. Because they are cold-blooded insects, cockroaches can live without food for one month, but will only survive a week without water.
Written by ettefreeguy?