Comments

 

#Capitalization means using a capital letter (for example, N instead of n). The use of capital letters helps readers read your writing without confusion.

Always capitalize the following:
The first word in a sentence.
• I grew up in Ghana.
• She left a message on my phone.

The pronoun I.
• Julie and I have been best friends since we were kids.

The first letter of a proper noun (specific name).
• Michael wants to play soccer with us.
• This letter is from Fatima.
• I graduated from the University of Calabar.
• I like Coca Cola.
• She likes Indomie noodles.

The first letter of months, days, and holidays (but not seasons).
• Today is October 22, 2014.
• Benjamin's birthday is this Thursday.
• The shops are always closed during Easter.
• This summer is going to be very hot.

The first letter of nationalities, religions, races of people, and languages.
• Young ladies nowadays like Brazilian hair.
• I want to master many languages, such as Spanish, Korean, Chinese, French and Russian.
• Francis is an English teacher.
• There is one Muslim mosque in my town.

The first letter in a person's title.
• This is Barr. Cohbam's  House.
• I got it from Mr. Edward.

Geographic areas: cities, states, countries, mountains, oceans, rivers, etc.
• My destination is Paris, France.
• Hawaii is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Historical periods.
• The Renaissance began in the 14th century.
• The Qing Dynasty is the last dynasty in China.

The first letter of each major word in the title of a book, movie, article, etc.
• Purple Herbiscus and African Child is my favorite novel.
• I found the article "How to Write a Good Cover Letter" in this magazine.
• I've never got bored watching The Lord of The Rings over and over again.

Learning English with ettefreeguy.

Post a Comment Blogger

 
Top