Comments

 

INCORRECT: No sooner had I arrived home when it began to rain.
CORRECT : No sooner had I arrived home than it began to rain.
(No sooner ... than ...)
INCORRECT: We both know that Charles loves Angel more than Vincent.
CORRECT : We both know that  Charles loves Angel more than Vincent does.
To avoid confusion, put an auxiliary verb as an ellipsis: Charles loves Angel more than Vincent loves Angel.


INCORRECT: I saw where my mistakes lay and how to make up for them.
CORRECT : I saw where my mistakes lay and how I could make up for them.

INCORRECT: My archrival, Frankie, he scored very high marks in the last test..
CORRECT : Frankie, my archrival, scored very high marks in the last test.
(Put the additional description between the subject and the verb. Surround it with commas.)

INCORRECT: I felt very difficult to deal with this physics problem.
CORRECT : I found it very difficult to deal with this physics problem.

INCORRECT: The general meeting is scheduled to be held this afternoon at three.
CORRECT : The general meeting is scheduled to be held at three this afternoon.
(In a series of adverbs of time, put the specific time expression before the general one.)

INCORRECT: She ran into her boyfriend yesterday morning in Fair Avenue.
CORRECT : She ran into her boyfriend in Fair Avenue yesterday morning.
(Adverbs in order: manner - place - time.)

Post a Comment Blogger

 
Top